Monday, November 16, 2009

Seeing Jesus

I just heard John Piper say that if we have not devoted our lives to seeing Jesus (with the spiritual eyes of our hearts) then we are probably not making much progress in becoming like him.

Wow.

I think he is right. How often I forget that seeing Jesus in his glory is not just what happens when we are born again; it's not just the beginning of our Christian experience. It's the GOAL. Oh! I get so busy and distracted and stressed and overwhelmed and taken up with 'other things' (Martha, Martha) that I forget that's it's all about seeing Jesus: feasting my soul on the glories of Christ! "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it; Prone to leave the God I love!" How quickly I leave Jesus so that I can go and serve Jesus. THAT IS RELIGION. And it's dead.

Are you like me? Then be reminded that Jesus is the Treasure. Stop trying to live for Jesus without waiting in his presence, just....looking at him.....ahhhhh......seeing him. Beholding his glory. Meditating on his excellencies. Tasting his goodness. The first and greatest commandment - to love the Lord with ALL.

The third verse of the old hymn Be Thou My Vision says:
Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,

High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

Praise Jesus! Stop and rest in him today. SEE HIM.

One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to inquire in his temple.
(Psalm 27:4, ESV)

Back to Piper's quote. If we have not devoted ourselves to seeing him, we are probably not making much progress in becoming like him. Because it is through seeing him that we are being transformed into his likeness:
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. (2 Corinthians 3:18a, ESV)

Oh Lord, open our eyes to see Jesus!

No comments: