In our previous post, we noted that the followers of Christ are actually commanded by God to delight in God! We also looked at various aspects of delighting in God found in Scriptures. Now let us look at how all of this is made possible.
Delighting in God through Jesus Christ
Above all else, we delight in God through the gospel of Jesus Christ. For it is through the gospel itself that God:
1. frees us from our sins (our sins make it impossible for us to enjoy God);
2. opens our blind eyes (which have previously not seen anything in God worthy of our delight – such is our great blindness!);
3. sets us free from the slavery of our will (releasing us to freely turn to God in delight);
4. and removes the wrath of God against us (that we may be acceptable in his sight, welcome to come into his presence with great joy forever and ever).
• More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:11
• Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory 1 Peter 1:8
• These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:11
• And you were dead in the trespasses and sins [2 ] in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— [3 ] among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. [4 ] But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, [5 ] even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— Ephesians 2:1-5
All of this delight was accomplished for us by Christ through his death on the cross and his resurrection. Our eternal pleasure in God was planned by God the Father from eternity past. And our enjoyment of the Almighty is applied and effected to us by the Holy Spirit, through the gospel of Christ. The Persons of the Godhead work together in joyful unity to remove every hindrance from our delighting in God forever, for the glory of God.
What amazing and wonderful truth!!
What is hindering your enjoyment of God?